Sunday, August 21, 2005

Hotter Than H. . .

Or at least it seems that way. I'm talking about the furnace. I don't have a temp gauge yet. I am trying to procure one from Federal Corp. I threw some glass canning jars I had asked my mom to save for me in the furnace so I could get an idea of hot it was getting in my furnace. After the third day, they had melted but upon trying to get a gather it became apparent that something was different than what I was used to. They glass wasn't nearly "liquid" enough. So I took the glob of glass on my blowpipe and stuck in my glory hole for what seemed like a long time and it never got dripping hot. My glory hole seemed as hot as I was used to a glory hole being but the glass didn't respond. I then theorized that the glass jars might be made out of different kind of glass that responds differently than what I was used to. So I cleaned out the glass of the furnace and dumped about 25 pounds of my "batch" glass in and am now waiting the 2 or so days for it to heat up. If that doesn't do the trick, then I my have to search for another blower that blows at a higher velocity than what I have. Still waiting for that elusive "hot glass"!

1 comment:

andy b said...

The layout just keeps changing. Looking good. Sorry I missed your call. I will call this afternoon.